my friend mimi gave me a nickname and she has been has been calling me "laguna bitch". it's written all over my friendster account. knowing what the meaning of bitch is, i'm supposed to throw a hissy fit from the time that she called me laguna bitch. but i didn't. she explained to me that she has another meaning of bitch, which she has taken from an old forwarded e-mail.
according to that e-mail, bitch means:
C- control of
she told me that she gave me this nickname because noticed that i rarely succumbed to peer and social pressure. yeah, even in my age, there’s still peer pressure. i don’t know about you guys but that’s how being in an all-girl university goes (ack, we went co-ed a couple of years back). social pressure never goes away. but anyway, take these examples:
1. it’s time to choose what our field of specialization would be. the medical-surgical ward is all the rage but i’ve decided that i should really stick to my choice, which is the operating room. i was the first one to write down OR (in blue ink) on that measly piece of paper. some of my classmates taunted me that from what they’ve heard, the OR elective has the most number of paper works and has one of the most difficult final exams. they tried to avoid that and some persuaded me to change my field.
2. some of my friends didn’t attend the in-house review organized by our school, in preparation for the board exams. they reviewed in other review centers. naturally, they persuaded me to come because almost everyone “fun” is going to attend in the same review center.
3. one time, i have a friend who admitted that he really likes me but the problem is, he is already in a relationship. i like him too but only as a friend. knowing these facts, some of my friends pressed me into entering a relationship with him even if the poor girl didn’t know, because eventually, they’d break up if he truly loves me. they gave me the crap that “love is all that matters”.
4. i got sick and tired of studying at starbucks at robinson’s place manila ever since it became crowded and noisy because of other “reviewees”. my dormmates, who also happens to be my friends, get a kick out of studying there even if it’s noisy. one night, they decided to go to starbucks adriatico to study. the night before, i had coffee with the ice king so i declined. ooh, they wouldn’t take no for an answer.
how did i manage?
DEADMA lang. as in totally ignoring them. seriously, i have my own brain that can function so i don’t need anyone telling me what i should do. i take advices and words of wisdom; but letting them control my decisions? nope, won’t work.
so what happened after?
1. i chose the OR no matter what. turns out that there is only one case study, a quiz, a case presentation (in front of staff nurses and the chief nurse of PGH-OR, mind you), and a scrapbook with your photos and whatnots are required. i had a hell of a time because i enjoyed every single minute of my duty in the OR.
2. i paid the fees early so that they couldn’t say anything anymore. i went out and enjoyed myself before the in-house review started while they have been going to their classes almost 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. when the in-house review started, they had a lot of topics covered but they are still so toxic. unlike us who only had a month of review, we got to chill out pa at club manila east.
3. when i heard their reason, i was like, “wtf?”. and reality check: i told them that i like him AS A FRIEND, for crying out loud. that’s enough for me not to listen to them. and i think they have a twisted perspective on what ‘love” is. jeez!
4. i have to save because i'm flat broke. i hate it when people can’t take no for an answer because i have to tell a white lie so they’d leave me alone. so i just gave them a pathetic excuse that my dad would call up that night and would totally freak out if he finds out that i’m not in the dorm. they know that my dad’s overprotective so they went by themselves. problem solved! i got to study well and they just ended up chatting with some of our classmates. now, i call them the starbucks study brigade.
oo nga naman, i realized that i don't usually give in to the whims of my friends when i don't feel like it. ok. so maybe laguna bitch really fits me. =)
on the other hand, evil kitty’s kittens have grown so big. lookie here:
aww, so cute. i love them.