I just stumbled upon a lot of blogs containing hate messages for Teri Hatcher and the writers of Desperate Housewives for having "racist" remarks about checking if the doctor's credentials came from some med school in the Philippines (eh the doctor graduated from Harvard Med school pala). You guys should see and hear it for yourself. It comes at 0:26 mark on the clock.
At first, I was nainis because it was implied that MD's from the Philippines aren't super qualified to work abroad. Paano pa kaya with us, nurses? But if I look at it closely, it might be because of our own doing so I really can't blame them. Some of my theories of how and why:
- Maybe the rift that the Medicine Board Exams Leakage of the early 90's just stuck with the rep of our Filipino MD's. My friend, Mark called the issue *"The Grace of Fatima". Even now, Fatima still has a bad rep whenever they top the board exam for physicians even if they didn't do anything funky...because attached to their success is "Ah, siguro may leak sila".
- Or maybe it was because of the highly publicized and highly controversial June 2006 Nursing Board Exam Leakage that gave the entire globe a reason to doubt the credibility of every Filipino professional.
- The immensely popular Bar Exams Leakage (I can't remember what year) on the Mercantile Law part of the exam.
- The stalls of fake diplomas at Recto...well known ito. Even my American uncle, Uncle Roger knows about Recto.
So with that, I became neutral na...I have nothing more to say. Kasalanan din naman natin on why their mindset was like that.
For those who had been posting an online petition at Friendster's bulletin board, put a cork in it. Isn't there a time that we didn't do "racist" jokes against our own kind? How about this stereotype that every Bisaya female is a "katulong"? Or how about making fun of the dark-skinned girl at Bubble Gang, calling her "Baluga"? Eh how about saying that all Indians and Arabians are "mabaho"? It's racist too, don't you think? It's different on how Black people call each other "Nigger" because for them it means "Brother". How would the female Bisaya carry on being called as katulong?
Let's be open-minded about this now. I repeat, pwede ring may kasalanan tayo. I hope it becomes a motivation for us not to screw up anymore if we don't want the whole world to laugh at us.
* During this controversy, the school pointed out to have the leakage was Fatima.