Looking for Something?

Saturday, 26 January 2008

Almost Rusty

I've said before that my first patients ever since I became a registered nurse are our cats. Now, my almost rusty skills were put to the test when Carissa asked me to come with her when she was called to attend to a student during the Out to Groove Dance Contest a couple of days ago. I thought the patient was sprained by the way she was decribed. Turns out, she was having difficulty of breathing, and was hyperventilating.


It was kind of difficult because we don't have any paraphernalia wit uhs. We just have to improvise. That's why its a bit awkward to make the patient breathe into a plastic bag. The situation isn't even toxic because Car-car and I know what to do. It's just the patient who's hard to deal with. She refused to let us inform her relatives about what happened and she also refused to take her to the hospital when she said that "my chest hurts".

But anyway, all's well. Thank God. I thought everything I learned went straight to my unconscious.

BTW, now I'm considering Emergency Nursing aside from OR Nursing.

8 comments:

dak said...

kudos!

Chillidobo said...

sis, as long as that plastic bag wasn't previously used to keep tinapa or tuyo, i think that's fine. LOL

justmike said...

lakas ng loob.

di ko kaya sa ER

Ruy said...

Cool! The Life Saving Ice Queen! =)
Personally I think I'd panic (although I hope I don't) if put in a similar situation.
Great job.

McRey said...

Ayus...

Ano kaya ang itsura ng taong nag ha-hyperventilating?

Siguro kung ako yung, hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko...

katakot!

KC said...

@ Dak: Thanks. I bet you'd do the same too.

@ Chillidobo: I guess so. Plastic bag ng Wendys yung ginamit namin, so in a way medyo heaven pa ang amoy...amoy burger. Hihi!

KC said...

@ Mike: Ewan ko ba..parang naghahanap ako ng sakit sa ulo. Gusto ko din kasi sa ER. Ewan ko na lang kung magugustuhan ko sa ER ng tertiary hospital na pinag-dutyhan natin...

Patay-patay tayo dun. Haha!

KC said...

@ Ruy: Thanks. It was freaky for a neophyte like me but it went well.

@ McRey: Ahh, parang tumakbo sa marathon ng apat na araw..walang pahinga. Ganon. Medyo nakakataranta pero carry naman ng powers ng mga lola. Aba, bat walang PI? LOL.