Looking for Something?

Monday, 14 January 2008

Love In The Time Of Cholera


Rating:★★★★★
Category:Books
Genre: Literature & Fiction
Author:Gabriel Garcia-Marquez

Originally in Spanish: El Amor En Los Tiempos Del Cólera

From the brief introduction on the back cover, you might think that this book is just another fancy-schmancy love story. Well, you better think again. This is different from other novels that I have read because it presents the reality of love: the pain of rejection, possibility of infidelity, the perseverance of the heart so that love can conquer it all, marriage flaws, and unrequited love. Aside from that, it focused more on the events AFTER the maiden's heart has been won...which I have been looking for in a love story.

Although the narration may be too detailed for some readers, it guides the readers to actually feel and visualize the events. That's why it will go unnoticed that there are few dialogues between the characters. And the way the story was written seems to have a melancholic air but as you proceed to the final pages, the melancholia just disappears. Not only that, the book is also brimming with wisdom and a different outlook on life. Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves."

Garcia-Marquez also described the characters very well so it seems like they're real people. The way that it was written, Florentino Ariza seems to me as a very somber fellow whose ideologies seemed to be based on fantasy but very determined (He waited 51 years, 9 months, and 4 days to profess his love once again to Fermina Daza after Dr. Urbino died). Fermina Daza seems to be a person who uses her head than her heart but works towards making something good come out of it. And Dr. Juvenal Urbino is a man of action and a no nonsense kind of person.

So I recommend this novel to those who appreciate a slice of reality in their literary plate...and for those who love fantasy, this might appeal to you, at some points. It has a "Happily Ever After" ending but it is presented in a different context.

Here's a link to the chapter synopsis if you want to get the essence of the story: LINK

15 comments:

Mimi Dizon said...

This review sounds like it came from someone who's IN LOVE. Haha! Can relate ka ba sa sinapit ni Fermina Daza dahil siya ang napiling pakasalan ni Dr. Urbino?

I love this book to bits. I always thought that the Florentino guy is such a loser - until the last chapter.

My favorite line? "I'm not a rich man, but a poor man with money".

Jewel Angeles said...

I had started reading 100 Years of Solitude before. But because I was busy... I had to stop and I never got around to finish it. By the time I was free to read, it had been weeks and I kind of lost the flow of the story. Lam mo yun? So di ko na natapos.
What I liked about his writing is that his book is the type you really have to sit down and get into to read. You can't just read it halfheartedly, you have to make it your world for the moment. And everything is described in incredible detail!

Ganun din ba 'tong Love in the Time of Cholera?

I was considering buying it but... I was worried if it's worth it.

I'll buy Neil Gaiman's Coraline first, and then we'll see. :)

KC Cervales said...

Umm, not really. Haha! People just told lies about me and your brother. Nobody sent me poison pen letters.

You're too harsh with Florentino.

KC Cervales said...

Naloka ako sa 100 Years of Solitude. Haha! But yeah, I have those moments that I lose track of the story whenever I stop reading it.

In Love in the Time of Cholera, everything is described in full detail. As in full...so you can visualize the setting and how the characters looked like. I found it hard to put the book down because you'd really want to focus on the story so that you'd get the essence.

My months of looking for it is well worth it. Before kasi, lagi 'tong sold out sa National and Powerbooks.

Jewel Angeles said...

Never ko na natapos yung 100 Years.... And I don't think I'll ever get to. I was like halfway through na eh. I don't want to have to read it all again. Hehe.
Meron sa Powerbooks sa Festival Mall ng Love in the Time.... :)

Oh wait! Kay Gabriel Garcia Marquez din yung Memories of My Melancholy Whores, right? Now THAT I want to read talaga! The title sounds less mushy than this one. Hehe. Though I know it's still a love story.

Jewel Angeles said...

That's what I remember most clearly about the half of 100 years... na nabasa ko. :)
I miss it. Maybe I should get back to his books soon nga. :)

KC Cervales said...

I have a copy of this book na. Ate Rich gave it to me.

Yep, Garcia-Marquez din yung Memories of My Melancholy Whores. Yun naman ang next target ko. I already finished reading Of Love and Other Demons last year. Very intriguing...kukulot ang buhok ng mga pari at madreng conservative. I want to lend it to you para mabasa mo pero hindi pa rin nababalik sa akin yung book. Sad.

Mimi Dizon said...

They made lies...just because they're JEALOUS. *smirk*

Anyway, yeah, I'm harsh with the guy. He's full of fantasy kasi. Duh, as if his fantasy can feed me di ba? Uy, Memories of My Melancholy Whores is a good read. The books aren't mine nga lang...it's Kuya Jon's.

Jewel Angeles said...

So it's dark, is it? Sawa na ko kasi sa love stories sa ngayon. (Kaya nga I'll be reading Gaiman after I'm done with what I'm reading now ehh! Haha.)
It's an interesting title. Of Love and Other Demons. But I read the summary in the back, parang mushy pa rin. -_-;;
Yung Memories..., my cousin has that. I'll steal it from her. Nyahaha.

KC Cervales said...

Ay oo nga pala, you want someone who can feed. Lol.
Ay sayang, di kami close nun. I'll just buy a copy na lang...and I hope it won't go out of stock. ;)

KC Cervales said...

Not that dark. It's like Garcia-Marquez is narrating the feelings of the young priest for the girl he's supposed to exorcise...kinda mushy though.

If ever you do steal it successfully, tell me if Memories... is good. ;)

Jewel Angeles said...

The priest is in love with a young woman possessed by an evil spirit?! Oooo. I like the sound of that. Hahaha. I'll think about it pa rin. :)

Of course. I miss writing reviews. I'll write some here ulit about the books I read. :)

KC Cervales said...

^ Uh huh. And the girl is only 12. I'll try to revise my review about Of Love and Other Demons.

Thanks. I read a lot of books before but I haven't thought of writing a review on it. I'll wait for your reviews. :)

Jewel Angeles said...

WOW. And pedophilia! I may like this book after all! Dark and twisty. Like Meredith Grey. ;p
I'll read a few pages pag napadaan akong Powerbooks. I'll buy it if I like it. :)

Hay nako. I miss writing reviews, period. Check out the ones on my page, they're sobrang ancient na! I need to make new ones. ;p

Where ARE you? Dyan ka lang sa house? Nagiinternet na lang ako dito kina Mico. NagpPSP kasi sya. He's such... a boy. Hahaha.

KC Cervales said...

Lol @ pedophilia. Try to read the first pages. The characters are based on real people.

Write new ones if you have time.

I'm at home...all locked up. Haha! Well, Mico will always be Mico. =)