Looking for Something?

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Lost: Idiot Edition

September 26. Saturday. Yeah! Last day of classes for the week. I was planning to go home as soon as Biochemistry class ends. While I was planning this, I noticed that it wouldn't stop raining and it is getting worse by the minute. As I was looking outside the window in disdain, I have this gut feeling that this day would be different. By lunchtime, water in the football field was rising fast and it's spilling over the Snack Bar. Ugh. Not good. But hey, the rain might stop and the water will subside.

But it didn't.

Water from the field is now entering Dom Felipe Cafe and it's rising fast. Oh noes. And to make things even scarier for flood neophytes like me, flood in the Quad is rapidly rising so my friends decided to scoot home ASAP. Odette and I stayed behind because we can't go home because it is a fact that manholes are opened in Gastambide whenever there is flood.

I kept on checking the water level every once in a while but every time I look out, the sight isn't pretty. The water in the Quad is rapidly rising, including the filthy, putrid water in the creek beside San Beda. I saw the people in the Legarda Station frantically running for shelter as the strong wind blew and heavy rain poured in torrents. My prediction is that the rain won't stop within the day so Odette and I would probably spend the night in school. I also sent out mass texts to some friends to ask how is it within their area. And the answers are all the same: “baha na”.

OK. Totally not good. In a lame attempt to lighten up the mood, I fooled around with “Dinamita”. But I can sense that there is more up ahead.


Brave Staff

At around 6:30 PM, Ondoy geared up for its final assault. Without warning, the rain suddenly poured down and the wind blew. HARD. The water in the quad rose waist deep and it now reached the offices in the first floor. That's when I knew my earlier prediction will come true: We're stuck at St. Benedict's Hall for the rest of the night. To be honest, it's my first time ever to be stranded. Dr. Francis Cid, our dean, is also there with us. He kept on checking the water level and even provided us with food and water.

To be honest, I didn't feel scared at all because everyone still has a smile in their face. Plus, we were staying with the Nursing faculty, who by the way, are srsly hilarious people.

Hello sunrise! The water is still high as there is no major outlet within San Beda, according to Dr. Cid's fact finding. So Odette and I decided to traverse icky flood water, since it wouldn't reach our pudendal area anymore. After getting Dr. Cid's nod, we set off to the Abbey where the water is slightly lower than in the main gate. Another first for me to go into a floody street. Luckily, there's a pedicab waiting near the deepest part of the flood so we rode up to Gastambide.

I got home at around 9AM. And I'm thankful that my family and I are OK. My dad was worried sick, he kept on calling each one of us. He has rly worried about me when he found out that I was stranded.

I'm OK, Daddy.

But it still breaks my heart to see the aftermath of Ondoy. :(

No comments: