Looking for Something?

Sunday, 27 December 2009

Major Upgrade

Oh look at what I saw at the corner of 680 Pedro Gil St., Malate Manila:


It’s a revamped version of The Paulinian, in a magazine format. SAY WHAT?! Yes, a magazine format. And wait a second! It is a reminiscent of a certain college paper I used to write for. Hmm…InfoNURSEtion, is it? Anyway, since I’m an evil hag, I browsed the pages to see if there are any content that is facepalm-worthy. In fairness, there is almost none. Major improvement. Even I surprised myself for being awestruck. Not bad.

However when I started reading some articles, I went WTH. As usual, the activities of some colleges especially the College of Nursing’s activities are not noted. That is FAIL #1, which for me is always the roadblock of this school paper: unbalanced reporting. Another thing is that it was total election overkill. I appreciate their effort to raise the awareness of exercising your right to vote but I found some of the articles redundant at some times because it all boils down to one message. But it’s ok, at least the redundancy is for a good cause so I won’t rate it as a FAIL.

But then, the Vox Populi part is what made me facepalm for real. When I read the comments regarding the Turnstile ID system, I had to cringe. Well, who wouldn’t cringe if you have read that the line at the ID terminal causes them to be late? There’s a simple solution for that and it doesn’t involve the administration. COME TO CLASS EARLY! And to avoid a long queue, wear your ID so you won’t have to fish it out of your bag when it’s time to swipe your ID. WTH. Some comments are so superficial that I wanted to burn that section. I won’t be surprised if one of these days I will hear that “Paulinians are whiners” or “Paulinians are idiots” because their problem is so simple and the solution is sitting on the top of their heads. In relation to these out of logic survey responses, I am hoping that next time there must be active selection of what is going to be included in the paper. Srsly because it was a total survey response FAIL.

Also, I don’t know if I was too baked reading my Biochemistry book or that I am just plain unimaginative, but I DIDN’T GET THE ABSTRACTION OF THE COVER. Honestly when I look at it at a glance I see cow turd and when I stare at it, it’s like a mutated walnut. I don’t mean to be crass but that’s just my observation. I hope that catchy colors were utilized to liven up the front page since this is the maiden issue of the new The Paulinian. I won’t rate it as a FAIL because I can’t go and create a magazine cover like the artist did. It’d probably look mutated all the time. Haha!

On the bright side, I liked most of the contents. It’s audience-friendly therefore there are high instances that the students will actually read what’s in it. I applaud the staff of The Paulinian for this brave move. There’s always room for improvements so I’m not that hard on you guys. I’m actually glad for this overhaul because the format is now appropriate for the contents.

If you guys are to ask me if I’d keep this copy, I say I would. It wouldn’t end up in the same fate that its predecessors had been: as a stain guard for my bed.

No comments: